Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Turn Admin On!
Public Services

Emergency Services

Emergency services for American citizens in CAR are provided by the U.S. Embassy in Yaoundé, Cameroon. Please visit the U.S. Embassy Yaoundé Emergency Contact Information for US Citizens webpage for more information. You may also contact them by email at or by telephone at 237 22220-1500 ext. 4341/4023 or, after regular business hours, at 237 22220-1500, ext. 4531.


When the Consular Section is advised that an American has been arrested, a consular officer visits the American as soon as possible, provides information regarding the local legal system and a list of attorneys, and offers other assistance such as contacting family or friends on the prisoner’s behalf, arranging to transfer private funds for delivery to American prisoners, and arranging dietary food supplements and/or medical care through a U.S. Government loan. Although consular officers can provide informative and supportive assistance, they cannot "spring" an American from detention, serve as the prisoner’s legal representative, or intervene in the foreign judicial process.

Financial Assistance

The Consular Section assists Americans overseas in financial trouble. When a destitute U.S. citizen turns to the Consular Section for help, the Section first attempts to locate private sources of funds, usually from family, friends, or business associates. After these private funds are identified, the Section helps in transmitting the funds to the individual through State Department facilities.

Medical Assistance

Consular officers facilitate handling the serious problem of Americans who become physically or mentally ill while traveling or living abroad. The officer assists in locating family members, guardians, and friends in the United States and advising them of the problem, identifying and transmitting private funds when necessary. When necessary the officer also assists in the return of the ill or injured individual to the United States via commercial air.

Death of American Citizens

When an American dies abroad, the consular officer notifies the next of kin or legal representative. The officer provides guidance on how to make arrangement for local burial or return of the body to the United States according to the preference of the next of kin. The State Department has no funds to assist in the return of ashes or remains of U.S. citizens who die abroad.

Welfare and Whereabouts

In welfare and whereabouts cases, the Consular Section tries to obtain all pertinent data available on the individuals, and based on the information available, attempts to locate the individuals, determine their welfare, pass on any urgent messages, and, consistent with the Privacy Act, report back the results of their search efforts.